Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Album Review: "Comatose" by Skillet

File:Skilletcomatose.jpg
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Genre: Hard Rock/Alternative Rock/Symphonic Rock

Skillet began as a mostly grunge rock band, very much different than it is today. The band first began to rise in popularity with their release of Collide in 2004 in which their style of music clearly began to change. Two years later, in 2006, Skillet released it's first Gold labeled album, Comatose! The eleven track album had seven radio singles! I was recently given this CD as a birthday gift, and I shall now give you my own review of the album.

The album Comatose begins with my personal favorite from Skillet, "Rebirthing". "Rebirthing" is the most upbeat song on the entire album and is such a great rock song with symphonic rock mixed in. The song is basically about rebirthing and second chances. It is actually a song that spreads hope into, what John Cooper saw as, as world full of people who aren't feeling very hopeful these days. Rebirthing is a song about finding life in Jesus.

The second track on the album is "The Last Night", another great hit from Skillet. "The Last Night" talks about a girl who comes to John Cooper and tells him that she thinks she's worthless and hates
her life and wants to end it. This girl has been cutting herself, as the first line in the song says "You come to me with scars on your wrists", and John tells her that there is a God who cares about her and that "this is the last night you'll spend alone".

"Yours to Hold" is a ballad about someone trying to encourage his friend. "Better Than Drugs" is another rock song where John, in short, says that God is better than drugs and relates to God's love to the "high" one gets from wine and drugs. John says to God in the song, "You're my addiction, my prescription, my antidote".
Now we come to the title track, "Comatose". I really like how Skillet put a lot of symphonic rock in this song. The song talks about getting an "overdose of God" and having our pain taken away by Him. The next track, "The Older I Get", is about the hurt felt from a broken relationship a long ways back. As the chorus says, "The older I get, will I get over it. It's been way too long for the times we missed. I didn't know then it would hurt like this."

Another personal favorite of mine is "Those Nights". It has a great tune, and although it is much different from Skillet's usually hard rock songs, it is still a great tune and it is no wonder that it was a radio single. "Falling in the Black" goes back to the hard rock genre is another great song.

"Say Goodbye" is actually the slowest song on the entire album, even though it is three tracks from the last. The following song is much faster, in fact, it is the second most upbeat song on the album. It is, of course, "Whispers in the Dark". This is another song about how we are not alone and God is always there. The song is actually sung from God's perspective, so in the chorus, it says "You'll never be alone. When darkness comes you know I'm never far. Hear my whispers in the dark."

The final song on Comatose is an interesting track called "Looking for Angels". John simply sings about looking for angels in this world. The interesting thing about the song is that John does not sing in the verses. He instead just SPEAKS the lyrics. Skillet still does a great job with this song, and if you pay attention to the lyrics, they send a good message in the song.

Skillet made a great success with their album Comatose. All the songs, from the rock songs to the ballads, were great. The album begins with a great an upbeat song, and that upbeat tempo is carried through the entire album all the way to the last song. This is an album that everyone, Christians AND Non-Christians, will love!

Top 3 Songs
  1. Rebirthing
  2. Whispers in the Dark
  3. The Last Night


TRACK LISTING
  1. Rebirthing
  2. The Last Night
  3. Yours To Hold
  4. Better Than Drugs
  5. Comatose
  6. The Older I Get
  7. Those Nights
  8. Falling Inside The Black
  9. Say Goodbye
  10. Whispers In The Dark
  11. Looking For Angels

6 comments:

Mike said...

Great review! Whispers in the Dark is my favorite off the album, and I also love Falling Inside the Black. BTW, you should hear the rendition of The Last Night from the Comatose Comes Alive album! It rocks!
-Mike

Josh said...

Awesome album review for Comatose from Skillet I loved it :) I love that album too as it is one of my favorites from Skillet :)

Justin Morden said...

@Mike Thanks! Whispers in the Dark was a GREAT song. Great music video too! I haven't heard that rendition yet. I'll have to go have a listen. :)

@Josh Thanks, man. Comatose is one of my fav albums from Skillet too! :)

Josh said...

Your welcome Justin I am glad Comatose is one of your favorite albums from Skillet too :)

Shan said...

awesome review Justin. Really makes me want to hear this CD! Keep up the great work, buddy!

Justin Morden said...

Thank you very much, Shan. I appreciate the kind words. :)