Saturday, March 5, 2011

Album Review: "And If Our God Is For Us..." by Chris Tomlin

Rating: 4/5 Stars
Genre: Worship/Adult Contemporary

After Chris Tomlin released his famous single "Our God" on the Passion: Awakening CD, the release of his next album became highly anticipated by all Christian music fans. Finally, after much waiting, And If Our God Is For Us... finally hit stores! I was blessed to win this CD from my local radio station 101.5 WORD-FM and I am now able to give you my own take on the album.
And If Our God Is For Us... opens with the studio version of the highly popular song "Our God." The intro is a little different from the live version and Tomlin slightly changes the pitch of his singing in some parts of the last chorus, but these changes do not make the song sound any worse. In fact, I think that it makes it even better in some ways.
The first single from this album, "I Will Follow", comes next. It sends a great message from Chris
with the lyrics "Where You go, I'll go. Where You stay, I'll stay. When You move, I'll move. I will follow You. Who You love, I'll love. How You serve, I'll serve. If this life I lose, I will follow You." This is definitely going to be another Tomlin favorite for all lovers of Christian music.
I first heard "I Lift My Hands" in a Chris Tomlin concert I attended back in September of 2010. It has the usual Tomlin feel, which is a good thing, of course. "I Life My Hands" is a song about God's faithfulness and how He is our protector and gives us strength when we need it. "Majesty of Heaven" follows which is another good Tomlin song with a good tune as well.
"No Chains on Me" is definitely the biggest surprise on the entire record. This is the most upbeat song on the entire album and is great to listen to. "Lovely" is a slower song, but the lyrics are even better. The first two lines of the chorus are "Lovely, there is none more lovely.
In all the universe, there is no one lovelier".
Another lively song is "The Name of Jesus" which simply states that "In the name of Jesus there is life and healing." The next two song that follow, "All To Us" and "Faithful", are the slowest songs on the record, the latter featuring some vocals from Christy Nockels.
The beat goes back up with "Jesus My Redeemer" which is a song in which Chris Tomlin sings about what Jesus has done for Him and refers to Him as his Redeemer. And If Our God Is For Us... ends with a studio version of the "title track" from Passion: Awakening. "Awakening" is a beautiful song that provides a great ending to Tomlin's CD.
When I think of Chris Tomlin, I immediately think of his classic like "How Great Is Our God" and "Holy is the Lord". Tomlin's previous album Hello Love had similar classics, but unfortunately, And If Our God Is For Us... does not have too many of those. However, the ones that it does contain, like "Our God" and "I Will Follow" and "I Lift My Hands", are all great songs. All the other songs add to the good flavor too and though you may not hear as many songs from this album in church or at church events, And If Our God Is For Us... is still a solid record and will be enjoyed by anyone who listens to it.

Top 3 Songs
  1. Our God
  2. I Will Follow
  3. No Chains On Me

TRACK LISTING
  1. Our God
  2. I Will Follow
  3. I Lift My Hands
  4. Majesty of Heaven
  5. Lovely
  6. The Name Of Jesus
  7. All To Us
  8. Faithful
  9. Jesus, My Redeemer
  10. Awakening

2 comments:

Josh said...

Good album for the latest album from Chris Tomlin. I am glad you enjoyed the album. I already enjoyed the album and I love all of the songs on the album. Looking forward to your next album review whatever album it may be from which ever Christian artist you decide to pick on :)

Justin Morden said...

Thanks, Josh. It's nice to hear that someone enjoys reading my reviews. :)