Monday, January 16, 2012

Bible Verse of the Week: Psalm 139:23-24

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way of everlasting." -Psalm 139:23-24
I have used these two verses to start prayers when I feel at a loss for words. I find them tersely honest for every circumstance in my life. The first two lines reflect verse 1 in which David states, "LORD, You have searched me and You have known me." Indeed, God knows all things: all thoughts, all worries, all intentions, all sin. The latter leads to the next line. He knows every bit of sin in our hearts, even the one that we may forget that we have. It ends with the request to have God as a guide to never fall away from the spiritual path. This last line is almost a cleansing prayer to have God remove iniquity and help to turn away from it forever. This verse always gives me such peace that God is in control of my life, and He knows all things before they occur. This reassurance grants me a deep trust and reliance to lean on God for all things. -Jesselyn

4 comments:

Justin Morden said...

This is a great devo/verse, Jess! What a great way to begin your prayer time with the Lord! And thanks for your analysis and explanation of the passage. :)

Jesselyn said...

Hey thanks, Justin! Appreciate your feedback. You're welcome; God helped me write a smooth explanation.

Josh said...

Very good I liked it keep it up :)

Jesselyn said...

Thanks, Josh! I greatly appreciate the encouragement!