Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Bible Verse of the Week: Matthew 11:28-30

"Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." -Matthew 11:28-30

This is a very powerful verse that I regularly review. I have realized that the well-known verse 28 is easily taken out of context. It is promised that when we are burdened, the Lord will give us rest. This can be translated as us casually thrusting upon Him every one of our heavy worries and life burdens so that we can be free. Reading on, you will see that this is not the whole picture. Jesus then states to not only come to Him but to take His yoke upon ourselves and learn from Him, THEN our souls will find rest. Breaking it down, Jesus commands us to "Come, Take, and Learn". Does not each of us want rest and freedom from our burdens? Go to Him, take His yoke, and learn from Him. Then, you shall find eternal rest, for, indeed, His yoke is easy and burden light. ~Jesselyn

No comments: